Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sick with the Flu


Going to the doctor is not always fun. Sometimes when I go to the doctor it is for a check-up. Most of the time, if I am at the doctor, it is because I am sick. I hate getting sick,  but it happens at least once a year. Last year I had the flu. I had a fever and the chills. I went to the doctor and she told me to stay home from work and rest. She also said I should drink a lot of fluids. The doctor gave me a prescription for some medicine. I went to the pharmacy and filled the prescription. When I got home I took the medication and followed the dosage instructions carefully. Thirty minutes later I was itchy all over and covered in red marks on my skin! My face was itchy, my ears were itchy, even my stomach was itchy! It was terrible. I called the doctor and she said, "Stop taking that medication! You are having an allergic reaction!" I discontinued the medicine and eventually  got over the flu, but it was not fun to be sick and itchy! Now I know that I cannot take that medication and I should write it down on all my medical history forms

Answer the questions in the comments box.

1. What is an allergic reaction?

2. Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened?

3. What is another word for the chills? 

4. Have you ever been sick with the flu? How did you feel? What did you do?

Listen and repeat Activities

http://www.web-esl.com/health/medtalk.htm

Health Problems Quizzes/Games

http://www.eltbase.com/quiz/069_01.htm

http://english-zone.com/reading/health01.html

http://www.eslgamesplus.com/modal-verb-should-shouldnt-for-giving-advice-on-health-problems-esl-grammar-activity/

Bonus Question:
What is the difference between injury and illness? 






13 comments:

  1. 1.I was itchy all over and covered in red marks on my skin! My face was itchy, my ears were itchy when I take medicine.
    2.Yes I have. when I take some medicine I rash in my face .
    3.Another word for chills is fever
    4.Yes,I have . I feel cold ,I get headache ,running nose. First I drink a lot of lemon water. take a rest at home , eat less. Then take some medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. It's an unhappy response of some food, medicine and other things.
    2. No, I haven't.
    3. It's a shivers.
    4. Yes, I had the flu. At that time I had a headache, runny nose, and pain of whole body.
    When I had the flu, I always drink a warm tea and have an absolute rest.
    Nevertheless, if it's not better, I take a some medicine(OTC) like a Advil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. An allergic reaction is cause medication, flower or another something to feel itchy or red marks on skin.
    2. I never have allergic reaction.
    3. We can say shivery, cold.
    4. I never had flu. I think it is terrible to everyone.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. What is an allergic reaction? I was itchy all over and covered in red marks on my skin! My face was itchy, my ears were itchy, even my stomach was itchy

    2. Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened?
    yes,ihave . when I after shower ,open the window .the wind is coming .my face becoming red and itchy,the doctor told me this is rash

    3. What is another word for the chills?
    SHIVERS

    4. Have you ever been sick with the flu? How did you feel? What did you do?
    . I feel a fever and the chills.
    I STAY AT HOME FROM WORK AND REST,I DRINK MORE WATER
    I took the medication and followed the dosage instructions carefully

    Winston ye

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. runny nose. itchy.red mark.
    2 No.
    3. cold fit, shivers.
    4. yes.I had a fever and the chills, weakness and muscle pain.
    I had rest and to stay home from work. also I drink a lot of fluids and have some
    medicine.

    **** injury - hurt, cut and blood on skin.
    illness - disease

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. What is an allergic reaction?
    If I took same medication later ,I feel itchy ,got all over and covered in red marks on my skin.
    2. Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened
    I never had an allergic reaction.

    3. What is another word for the chills?
    the another word for the chills is shiver.

    4. Have you ever been sick with the flu? How did you feel? What did you do?
    I had the flu last December,I had shiver and bad headache,sometimes I felt hot ,sometimes I felt cold .I went to a Dr.Liu,He gave me a prescription, then I went to the pharmacy for some medicine,I got home and took them carefully, five hours later I felt better.
    wei lai

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.If someone has a allergy some medicine , when she or he take a that medicine he get some allergy reaction like itchy or red mark and another serious symptom. 2. No. I don't have a allergy reaction. 3 Shiver 4 Yes. I was feel bad. When I was got the flu , I didn't to want eat , dizzy and chills. so I stayed at home and rest all day drinking hot tea.
    jayi

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.What is an allergic reaction? This happens when we take some medication, then after we take it we have some negative reactions in our body.
    2. Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened? Yes,I have allergic to the chlorine then my reaction is vomiting.
    3. What is another word for the chills? Headache,Back pain, Earache.
    4. Have you ever been sick with the flu? How did you feel? What did you do? Yes,I was feeling tired, bored, and some fever. It was not good to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1.What is an allergic reaction? This happens when we take some medication, then after we take it we have some negative reactions in our body.
    2. Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened? Yes,I have allergic to the chlorine then my reaction is vomiting.
    3. What is another word for the chills? Headache,Back pain, Earache.
    4. Have you ever been sick with the flu? How did you feel? What did you do? Yes,I was feeling tired, bored, and some fever. It was not good to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i What is an allergic reaction?
    my reaction allergic the flower pollen Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened?my nose is runny
    I never been sick with the flu. How did you feel? What did you do?
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. What is an allergic reaction?
    Allergic reaction means not good for me.
    2. Have you ever had an allergic reaction? What happened?
    No
    3. What is another word for the chills?
    The shivers.
    4. Have you ever been sick with the flu? How did you feel? What did you do?
    Yes I have flu. I went to doctor.doctor give me prescription for some medication. docter told me take a rest .drink plenty of water.
    Namrata

    ReplyDelete